Fluorescent Oral Cancer Diagnosis
Fluorescent oral cancer diagnosis saves lives in Rancho CucamongaThis year, an estimated 35,720 men and 13,950 women in the United States will be diagnosed with oral and oropharyngeal cancer. About 9,700 of them won’t make it. The outlook is very good with early detection. However, most oral cancers are not discovered until they reach late stages. Dr. Mario Castellanos strongly encourages fluorescent oral cancer diagnosis twice a year as part of your regular exams at Dental Summit in Rancho Cucamonga, CA.
Shedding light on oral cancerThis screening is efficient and painless. Dr. Castellanos uses an advanced diagnostic aid as an adjunct to conventional visual examination.
- Lips, tongue, mouth, and back of throat are examined with a special blue fluorescent light.
- It illuminates abnormalities in soft tissues. Normal oral tissues emit a place green fluorescence. Dysplastic, or abnormal, cells appear dark green or black.
- High-resolution digital images can be captured and further analyzed on a computer monitor.
- If the doctor detects abnormalities, he takes a tissue sample for biopsy, or provides referral to an oncologist for further diagnosis and treatment.
Fluorescent visualization dramatically improves the doctor’s ability to find abnormalities (premalignant lesions) not visible to the naked eye.
Preventing oral cancerEarly identification of oral cancer is essential for effective treatment and positive prognosis. However, we’d rather help you avoid the shock of a cancer diagnosis.
You can reduce risk of mouth cancers by:
- Not smoking or using smokeless tobacco.
- Reducing alcohol consumption.
- Eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables. Their antioxidants are a natural cancer preventative.
- Avoiding facial sun exposure. Apply broad-spectrum SPF sunscreen to lips and wear a wide-brimmed hat.
- Maintaining regular visits at Dental Summit in Rancho Cucamonga with fluorescent oral cancer diagnosis as part of your checkup.
Dr. Castellanos cares about keeping you healthy! New patients are welcome, so call today to schedule an appointment – (909) 787-2414.